In 1878, Mr. and Mrs. George Millington donated a large area of land to a group of settlers for the purpose of starting a town. Mr. Millington requested that the new town be named in his honor. In 1888 the First Baptist Church was founded. It has over 5000 members. Its church is one of the largest buildings in Millington. In 1890, the first industry came to town. Since that time job growth has been sporadic and unfocused. Millington was officially chartered by the State of Tennessee in 1903. In 1917 the US military began its initial presence in Millington. Park Field was established as a pilot training facility. With the conclusion of WWI in 1918, military pilot training ceased. It was not until 1942, with the outbreak of WWII that the military would renew its interest in Millington. In 1928 Millington Telephone was established. This business brought modern communications to Millington and the surrounding region. At the outset of WWII the US Navy established the current airport as a training facility for Navy pilots. Consistently for many decades over 15,000 military personnel were assigned to Millington. The Navy brought prosperity to the community on an ongoing basis. In the 1980s the Base Realignment and Closure Commission began the process of downsizing the Millington Navy facility. Flight training was moved out of Millington. However, all US Navy personnel functions were relocated to the community. At present the military and associated private contracting creates a $335 million annual economic benefit to the region.